League Title Sponsor - Vanarama
MATCH REPORT: Woodley United Ladies 3-0 Oxford City Women

MATCH REPORT: Woodley United Ladies 3-0 Oxford City Women

By Luke Weir
22 September
Share via

Oxford City Women fell to their first league defeat of the season after a 3-0 loss to Woodley United.

The game was up for grabs for either side at half-time with there being little to choose between them and the score still level at 0-0.

The hosts then started the second-half brightly and broke the deadlock just before the hour mark with a long range effort that found the back of the net.

Woodley's confidence was now evident and they soon took the game beyond City by extending their advantage to secure their first three points of the campaign.

The match started in a cagey manner at Bulmershe Pavilion with the first chance of the afternoon coming for the hosts who had a direct free-kick kept out by Emily Tyler in the Oxford goal.

The conditions then started to cause problems with the rain and swirling wind now returning after a brief let-up prior to kick-off.

Both sides were struggling to play any kind of fluid football and resulted in a distinct lack of clear-cut chances.

City's best move of the opening stages came after about half an hour when Maisie Hastings played an excellent ball to Jess Doyle whose ball across goal just evaded a crucial touch in the six-yard box.

The Hoops were now growing into the match and started to edge the proceedings with Danielle Anderson almost poking the ball home following a fumble by the Woodley goalkeeper.

Ellie White now had a great chance after being put through on goal but saw her attempt from the angle kept out by the keeper.

Despite City's improvement across the half, it was Woodley who almost took the lead right on half-time thanks to a superb effort from the wide left which hit the underside of the crossbar but fortunately bounced away to safety.

They did however break the deadlock 10 minutes after the restart when Rosie Page-Smith tried her luck from just outside the box with the ball just escaping the fingertips of Tyler in the City goal.

It became 2-0 soon after courtesy of another speculative effort from distance which dipped just in front of Tyler and squirmed home as a result.

The game then got away from the Hoops after Woodley got a third inside 20 minutes when Amie Benton found the bottom corner of the net from just inside the area.

There was almost an instant reply and a consolation for City but a header from a corner was well kept out by the Woodley keeper with 15 minutes to play.

The rest of the game consisted of opportunities for the hosts to get a fourth but were thwarted on a couple of occasions and there was no change to score.

City will be hoping to make amends when they return to Marsh Lane next Sunday to face Wycombe Wanderers for a 2pm kick-off which you can come and watch for free.

There are also still plenty sponsorship opportunities that you can get involved with for the 2019/20 season; for more information contact our commercial manager at mick.livesey@oxcityfc.co.uk.

Share via